Rafael Nadal said it was a miracle that he managed to stay in the top 10 for so long considering his injury history. On April 25, 2005, Nadal broke into the top 10 for the first time since his career. Nadal, now ranked world No. 8, has withdrawn from upcoming Masters events in Indian Wells and Miami.
Following his retirement from Indian Wells, where he reached the final last year, Nadal is set to break out of the top 10 for the first time in 18 years. I prefer to be in the top 10, it’s obvious, but in the end you have to take things as they come.
With all the injuries I’ve had in the last 18 years, never breaking out of the top-10 is practically a miracle. There has come a time when a lot has happened in the last year: a broken rib, two abdominal tears, now a hip, foot problems, there are many things that, in tennis, with a ranking that lasts a year, you know If you don’t play, you’re out of the top-10,» said Nadal. break point.
Nadal on when he will return
Nadal last competed at the Australian Open, where he was visibly hampered by a hip injury. Following his withdrawal from the Sunshine Double, many are hoping to see Nadal back in action at the start of the clay-court season.
The Monte Carlo Masters will begin on April 9. Nadal confirmed that his intention is to return during the clay court season, but insisted that he does not know where his return will come from. «I don’t know if it will be Monte Carlo, I don’t know if it will be Barcelona, if it will be Madrid», Nadal said.
For Nadal, the most important thing will be to be fit and ready for the French Open, where he will try to win a record 15th title this year. Whether Nadal will be ready to return to action at the start of the clay court season remains to be seen.