Wta Has Still Its Thought Towards Peng Shuai'S Issue

WTA still has its thoughts on the Peng Shuai problem


More than a year has passed since the mysterious and disturbing story involving Peng Shuai. On November 2, 2021, the tennis player had openly declared that she had been sexually abused by a senior Chinese official, and since that fiery revelation, she had suddenly lost track of her.

Her family and the entire tennis community feared the worst for her, only to be reassured a few months later by her public appearance at the Winter Olympics in Beijing. The matter has led the WTA to cancel any type of event in China and has repeatedly reiterated it through official notes.

Although some time has passed since everything broke out, concern for Peng Shuai is still present in the highest body of women’s tennis, which, as announced in a press release, clarifies that it wants to have a private meeting with her, as reported by The Guardian. .

Most importantly, the WTA will not back down from holding events in China until the matter is cleared up once and for all. The WTA’s courage towards the Peng Shuai issue is exemplary. And it should prompt other trade associations and other tournaments to take a clear and decisive position on this issue.

WTA still has its thoughts on the Peng Shuai problem

The Women’s Tennis Association is clear: there is no return to China before the resolution of the Peng Shuai case. Through a press release collected by the British newspaper The Guardian, the association that groups professional players says that it is, in fact, categorical: «There has been no change in the position of the WTA on the return to China and We have confirmed our schedule for 2023.» only until the US Open.

Returning to the region will require a resolution of the situation for Peng, who took the courageous step of publicly declaring that she was sexually assaulted by a senior Chinese government official. As we would with any of our players around the world, we have requested a formal investigation into the allegations by the relevant authorities and the opportunity for the WTA to meet with Peng (privately) to discuss her situation.

We continue to stand firm in our position and our thoughts remain with Peng. The WTA is still working to find a solution. While we have always said that we look forward to hosting WTA tournaments in the region again, we will not compromise our principles to do so.»

Deja un comentario

Tu dirección de correo electrónico no será publicada. Los campos obligatorios están marcados con *

Ir arriba