The US authorities have extended their vaccination rules, meaning Novak Djokovic is likely to miss the Indian Wells and Miami Masters. Last year, Djokovic missed the US Open and three Masters tournaments in the US: Indian Wells, Miami and Cincinnati.
At the beginning of the new year, the US authorities have decided to extend their vaccination rules for foreigners until April.
Novak Djokovic is likely to miss (again) Indian Wells and Miami… — Jose Morgado (@josemorgado) January 4, 2023
Since Djokovic hasn’t been vaccinated and probably won’t be vaccinated, it’s likely he’ll be left out of the Sunshine Double.
Djokovic’s hope remains that the US authorities will make changes to the vaccination rules in the second part of the year, when it comes time for the US Open.
Djokovic did not regret his decision
After being denied participation in the 2022 Australian Open, Djokovic also did not compete at the US Open as he was not allowed to enter the country as an unvaccinated foreigner.
Djokovic, who won his 21st Grand Slam title at Wimbledon, was left without a chance to challenge for his 22nd Grand Slam title at the US Open. In Djokovic’s absence, 19-year-old Carlos Alcaraz took advantage to win his first Grand Slam title.
After the US Open, Djokovic said he did not regret his stance on the vaccine that forced him to miss the US Open. Additionally, Djokovic congratulated Alcaraz on winning his first Grand Slam title. «I do not regret anything.
I mean, I feel sad that I didn’t get to play, but, you know, that was a decision I made. I knew what the consequences would be, so I accepted them. That’s it. I congratulate Alcaraz on winning the US Open. He did it in an incredible way.
He is 19 years old and is already number one in the world. He is a great addition to our sport, a great star in the making. We cannot speak of him as the future, because he is already a present,» Djokovic said in September.