17.-25. June, a new version of the Rothesay Classic will be held in the British city of Birmingham. This event is part of the WTA Series in the 250 category and is played on the grass courts of Edgbaston Priory Club.
The Birmingham tournament has been part of the WTA’s annual calendar since 1982, with the exception of 2020 due to the Covid 19 pandemic. The first winner was Billie Jean King, who conquered it the following year as well. During the season, great players established themselves, like the Russian Maria Sharapovadouble champion in 2004 and 2005.
Nine of the world’s 30 best tennis players are included in the registration list announced for the competition Rothesay Classic Birminghamwhich takes place in Edgbaston Priory Club, 17.-25. June. Two former Grand Slam winners, Barbora Krejcikova and Jelena Ostapenkojoins the US WTA 250 event Madison Keysformer champion of this event in 2016.
Master. 2022 Beatriz Haddad Maia (14th in the world) Brazil also returns with last year’s runner-up China Shuai Zhang. This event is great on the grass tour as it always has the best tennis players in the world on its roster. Basically, nine Top Ten players are booked for an unforgettable week in the Wimbledon preview.
Participant list WTA 250 Birmingham
- Aryna Sabalenka (No. 2/BLR)
- Jessica Pegula (No. 3/USA)
- Elena Rybakina (No. 4/KAZ)
- Caroline Garcia (No. 5/FRA)
- Coco Gauff (No. 6/USA)
- Ons Jabeur (No. 7/TUN)
- Maria Sakkari (no. 8/GRA)
- Daria Kasatkina (No. 9/RUS)
- Petra Kvitova (No. 10/JUN)
- Belinda Bencic (no. 12/SUI)
- Lyudmila Samsonova (no. 15/RUS)
- Karolina Pliskova (no. 16/JUN)
- Victoria Azarenka (No. 18/BLR)
- Qinwen Zheng (No. 19/CHN)
- Donna Vekic (No. 22/CRO)
- Ekaterina Alexandrova (No. 23/RUS)
- Martina Trevisan (No. 26/ITA)
- Paula Badosa (No. 29/ESP)
- Shelby Rogers (No. 33/USA)
- Sloane Stephens (No. 35/USA)
- Petra Martic (no. 37/CRO)
- (WC) Top 20
- (WC) Top 20