ATP Chairman Andrea Gaudenzi believes it is «unfortunate» for all parties that Novak Djokovic will miss the Indian Wells Masters due to his vaccination status. Djokovic, 35, applied for special permission to enter the United States as an unvaccinated foreigner.
Unfortunately for Djokovic, his request was not granted and he withdrew from Indian Wells. As a result, for the second year in a row, Djokovic will miss Indian Wells just because he was not allowed to enter the United States.
«The decision is unfortunate not only for him but also for our tournaments and fans, especially given the relaxation of Covid-19 restrictions around the world and in the US. He is the number 1 player in the world and everyone in the tennis wish it». have the opportunity to compete in our most important events,» said Gaudenzi, according to Deccan Herald.
Djokovic officially withdrew from Indian Wells on Sunday
Tommy Haas, former world number 2, now serves as tournament director in Indian Wells. Earlier this year, Haas was very honest and direct when asked how he would feel if Djokovic was denied entry to the United States again.
In January, Haas said «it would be a shame» if Indian Wells left without Djokovic’s participation. «Obviously, the only problem is that he still can’t come to the US. If he doesn’t play in Indian Wells and Miami in March (it’s going to be tough), they’re supposed to lift those mandates in mid-April.
It would be nice to see if we could maybe lift that up a little earlier and have him come play in Indian Wells and Miami. I think he wants to play, so we should give him the chance. Hopefully, we can have it there. I mean, it would be a shame for me if he didn’t come to these events, or if he wasn’t allowed to come,» Haas said earlier this year. At Indian Wells, Djokovic is a five-time champion.